The State Security Service (SSS) on Wednesday night arrested former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, shortly after he was released from the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
El-Rufai had been detained by the EFCC since Monday over alleged corruption charges. He was granted bail at about 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday but was immediately taken into custody by SSS operatives who reportedly laid in wait at the EFCC headquarters.
Sources said the fresh arrest is connected to allegations that El-Rufai unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of Nigeria’s National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.
On Monday, the SSS filed cybercrime charges against him before the Federal High Court in Abuja in a case marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
Phone Interception Allegations
The charges followed remarks made by El-Rufai during a live interview on Arise TV last Friday, where he claimed that the NSA’s phone was tapped and that he overheard Ribadu directing security operatives to detain him.
He further alleged that the directive led to an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on Thursday. Witnesses said security officials briefly seized his international passport before escorting him out of the airport amid chants from supporters.
In response to the interview, SSS prosecutors instituted cybercrime proceedings, alleging that El-Rufai admitted to intercepting the NSA’s communications, failed to report others involved in unlawful interception, and compromised public safety and national security by deploying technical systems to tap the NSA’s phone.
The alleged offences are said to contravene provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
As of press time, no date has been fixed for his arraignment, and El-Rufai has not publicly responded to the charges.
